On Jan. 9, the City of Chula Vista announced it had received 17 qualified applicants for the District 3 City Council seat vacated by the resignation of Council member Steve Padilla following his successful election as District 18 California State senator. All applicants were verified by the city clerk, and voter registration confirmed with the Registrar of Voters.
Applicants submitted by mail postmarked by Jan. 6 and received by 5 p.m. on Jan. 11 will be vetted, and if qualified included in the City Council agenda published on Jan. 12.
City Council will consider and determine which applicants to interview for the vacant seat at the Jan. 17 City Council meeting. Council will set a date on Jan. 17 for a future Council meeting to interview those selected for interview, which will be conducted in public, according to the press release. The term of this City Council seat is from the date the appointee takes the oath office until December 2024.
All applicants submitted a completed application, resume, and biography.
The 17 applicants are:
• Nimpa Akana: Real estate agent,
• Devonna Almagro: Director of Communications, Office of San Diego County Board of Supervisors District 1 Chair Nora Vargas
• Griselda Delgado: Sweetwater Union High School District State & Federal Programs director
• David Diaz: County of San Diego Registrar of Voters outreach lead
• Alejandro Galicia: Principal, AGBW Corp dba BPI Plumbing
• Gian Ghio: Office manager, First Legal
• Alonso Gonzalez: Principal/broker, Pac Pro Real Estate
• Christos Korgan: City of Chula Vista Commissioner of Sustainability, South Bay Sustainable Communities Nonprofit sustainability consultant, Keller Leadership Academy Board of Trustees director
• Victor Lopez: Imperio Strategies, LLC, CEO, The Lincoln Club of San Diego County executive director
• Daniel Rice (Vasquez): Brooks Automation product manager
• Sophia Rodriguez: County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency social worker
• Tamara Rodrigues: Entralta PLLC
• Frank Salaiz: Law enforcement
• Ida Spector: Chiropractor, The Joint Chiropractic Corp
• Diego Vargas: FED EX GROUND operations manager
• Tanya Williams: Owner, Courage Christian Academy
• Douglas Wolf: Mathnasium of Eastlake owner/operator
Applications are available at www.chulavistaca.gov/d3application or can be viewed at the City Clerk’s office during regular business hours (Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or Friday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.).