The Otay Ranch Mustangs, Bonita Vista Barons and Mar Vista Mariners all received entry bids to this week’s San Diego Section girls water polo playoffs, as determined at Monday’s seeding meeting.
Otay Ranch (20-4) received the No. 7 seed in the Division I playoffs while Bonita Vista (16-12-1) and Mar Vista (14-12) each were seeded 11th in the Division II and Division III playoff fields, respectively.
Otay Ranch draws the 10th-seeded Escondido Cougars (16-10) in Wednesday’s opening round at El Capitan High School (6 p.m. start), with the winner advancing to meet the second-seeded Granite Hills Eagles (29-2) in Friday’s quarterfinals at La Jolla High School.
Twelve teams received entry bids in each division. League champions received automatic entry into the playoffs.
Mustang head coach Ernie Medina said his team met its goal by finishing 8-0 in Mesa League play.
“(We) worked as a team all season and just got better and better,” the ORHS coach said. “The Lady Mustang goal was to leave no question as to making CIF playoffs.”
Otay Ranch posted its best record since the program began with its 20-win season in 2011-12.
Bonita Vista is scheduled to play sixth-seeded University City (10-7) on Wednesday at the La Jolla Jewish Community Center (6:30 p.m. start), with the winner advancing to meet third-seeded Westview (17-12) in Saturday’s quarterfinals at LJHS.
The Barons finished 5-3 in Mesa League play as the runner-up team to the Mustangs.
South Bay League champion Mar Vista (8-0 in league) is scheduled to play at sixth-seeded El Capitan (21-7) on Thursday (6 p.m. start), with the winner advancing to Saturday’s quarterfinals against third-seeded Cathedral Catholic (17-10).
The Eastlake Titans (12-16) in Division I, Hilltop Lancers (8-12) in Division II and Mater Dei Catholic Crusaders (6-14) in Division III each came up just short of making the playoff cut this year.
The Titans finished 4-4 in Mesa League play in third place, Hilltop finished 3-5 in fourth place and MDC finished 0-8 in fifth place.
All playoff games are scheduled at LJHS. The Division II semifinals are scheduled Tuesday, Feb. 21. The Division III semifinals are scheduled Wednesday, Feb. 22 and the Division I semifinals are scheduled Thursday, Feb. 23.
A championship triple-header closes out play on Saturday, Feb. 25. The Division I final is scheduled at 2:30 p.m., followed by the Division II championship game at 5 p.m. and the Division III title contest at 7:30 p.m.
Eighteen teams applied for inclusion in the Division I playoffs and 13 teams each in Division II and Division III.
Six league champions received automatic entry in the Division I field while five league champions received automatic entry in Division III. There were no automatic entries (i.e. designated league champions) in Division II this year.
The top four-seeded teams in each division received byes in the first round.
Carlsbad (Division I), Valhalla (Division II) and Bishop’s (Division II) each received top seeds.
The Otay Ranch-Escondido winner will play Friday at 7:45 p.m.
The Bonita Vista-University City winner will play Saturday at 11 a.m.
The Mar Vista-El Capitan winner will play Saturday at 4 p.m.
Division I Playoff Seeding
1. Carlsbad (19-8, 10-0 in league)
2. Granite Hills (29-2, 10-0 in league)
3. Torrey Pines (19-10, 10-0 in league)
4. Patrick Henry (22-6, 8-0 in league)
5. Vista (17-2, 9-1 in league)
6. Fallbrook (18-8, 9-1 in league)
7. Otay Ranch (20-4, 8-0 in league)
8. Rancho Bernardo (15-13, 7-3 in league)
9. Grossmont (17-13, 6-4 in league)
10. Escondido (16-10, 6-4 in league)
11. Rancho Buena Vista (16-10, 7-2 in league)
12. Scripps Ranch (12-11, 6-2 in league)
Division II Playoff Seeding
1. Valhalla (22-7, 8-2 in league)
2. Mt. Carmel (13-14, 5-5 in league)
3. Westview (17-12, 4-6 in league)
4. Ramona (14-15, 1-9 in league)
5. La Costa Canyon (16-12, 6-4 in league)
6. University City (10-7, 4-2 in league)
7. West Hills (11-17, 1-9 in league)
8. Steele Canyon (13-16, 2-8 in league)
9. Canyon Crest Academy (10-11, 6-3 in league)
10. Serra (8-16, 2-6 in league)
11. Bonita Vista (16-12-1, 5-3 in league)
12. Pt. Loma (9-19-1, 0-7 in league)
Division III Playoff Seeding
1. Bishop’s (23-4, 6-0 in league)
2. La Jolla (19-8, 4-2 in league)
3. Cathedral Catholic (17-10, 2-4 in league)
4. Coronado (7-21, 0-6 in league)
5. Valley Center (16-11, 6-3 in league)
6. El Capitan (21-7, 8-0 in league)
7. Mission Bay (18-8, 6-0 in league)
8. La Jolla Country Day (9-14-1, 2-4 in league)
9. Del Norte (13-10, 6-3 in league)
10. Santana (11-14, 6-2 in league)
11. Mar Vista (14-12, 8-0 in league)
12. Clairemont (4-20, 1-4 in league)
Mesa League Standings
(Regular Season Records)
Otay Ranch 8-0 in league, 20-4 overall
Bonita Vista 5-3 in league, 16-12-1 overall
Eastlake 4-4 in league, 12-16 overall
Hilltop 3-4 in league, 8-12 overall
Mater Dei Catholic 0-8 in league, 6-14 overall
2011-12 San Diego Section League Champions
Fallbrook Warriors - Avocado East League
Carlsbad Lancers - Avocado West League
Mission Bay Buccaneers - City Central League
Patrick Henry Patriots - City Eastern League
Granite Hills - Grossmont Hills League
El Capitan - Grossmont Valley League
Otay Ranch Mustangs - Mesa League
Torrey Pines - Palomar League
Mar Vista - South Bay League
Valley Center - Valley League
Bishop's - City Western League