Sat, Aug 04 2012 12:00 PM Posted By: Jenny Wallis
The summer is a wonderful time for seniors to go outside, enjoy the fresh air and engage in events and activities, many of which bring back thoughts of favorite childhood memories. Now that the long, hot summer days are in full swing seniors should seize the moment and enjoy the best that the season has to offer.
Here are some ideas to make summer a whole lot of fun for seniors.
• Pools, Lakes, and Oceans: If you are trying to plan for summer fun begin with a list of nearby watering holes where you can cool down. Take a trip to a favorite spot or try out a new one.
• Collecting Memories: Often times we only think of the holidays as a time to reminisce. But since so many memories come from summer, write down and share summer memories with loved ones that can be passed along.
• Museums: When you think of a cool indoor site you may not immediately think of a museum in the summer, check out the Chula Vista Heritage Museum.
• Jams, Jellies and Preserves: Seniors were a part of a generation that didn’t allow summer’s bounty to slip through their fingers. Enjoy making jams, jellies, and preserves this summer, and think about teaching someone younger how to do it.
• Family get-togethers outdoor style: The summertime is a good time to invite family over because you can use the outdoors as part of your entertaining space. Or arrange for a get together at a park. Make it easy and ask everyone to bring a favorite dish.
• Cold Drinks/Cool Cubes: It is especially important for seniors to drink plenty of liquids in the summer heat. Make ice cubes out of your favorite juices or coffee to add a real zip in your next cool drink.
• Walks: With warm weather and extended daylight, take a walk in the early to mid morning or around dinnertime, avoid midday heat.
• We all scream for ice cream: Buy a box or two of your favorite ice cream at the grocer or head out for this all American cold treat, it is truly one of life’s pleasures and a great way to remember days of youth.
If you have questions about senior care or helping an elderly loved one, contact Jenny Wallis at Villa Bonita Senior Living at email@example.com.
© 2009 The Star-News