Fri, Jan 06 2012 02:13 PM Posted By: Staff Reports
Marcela Valladolid, popular Food Network personality and cookbook author, will make an appearance Saturday, Jan. 7, at the Chula Vista Costco to sign copies of her newest cookbook "Mexican Made Easy: Everyday Ingredients, Extraordinary Flavor." She will be on site from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
Valladolid is the hostess of the popular Food Network show “Mexican Made Easy.” In the book, she shares the fantastic recipes her fans have been clamoring for.
MEXICAN MADE EASY: Everyday Ingredients, Extraordinary Flavor (Clarkson Potter; on sale September 27, 2011).
A single mom charged with getting dinner on the table nightly for her young son Fausto, Valladolid embraces dishes that are fun and fast — and made with fresh ingredients found in the average American supermarket.
In “MEXICAN MADE EASY” (Clarkson Potter) she shares the tricks and stories that comprise her cooking life, from making homemade flour tortillas (not as hard as one might think!) to reinventing one meal’s leftovers into a new creation for your next meal (yesterday’s roast chicken becomes tomorrow’s flautas).
Some featured recipes in MEXICAN MADE EASY include:
• APPETIZERS AND SMALL BITES: Chipotle-Garbanzo Dip; Homemade Queso Fresco with Jalapeño and Cilantro; Shrimp and Avocado Salad; Chicken Flautas; Skirt Steak Quesadillas.
• TACOS AND TORTAS: Slow-Cooked Carnitas Tacos; Braised Marinated Skirt Steak Burritos; Pork and Salsa Tortas; Shredded Chicken in Peanut-Sauce Tacos; Carne Asada Cheese Tacos.
• ENTREÉS: Stuffed Poblanos with Walnut Sauce; Mexican Meatloaf with Salsa Glaze; Chicken in Easy Adobo; Cilantro Scallops; Garlicky Buttered Baja Shrimp; Sweet Ancho Chiles in Black Bean Salsa; Chiles Rellenos; Corn and Poblano Lasagne; Chipotle-Plum BBQ Ribs with Brussels Sprout Slaw.
• SIDES AND SALADS: Steak and Wilted Spinach Salad with Serrano-Mint Dressing; Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Tangerine-Rosemary Vinaigrette; Creamy Mexican Corn; Potato-Achiote Croquettes; Roasted Baby Red Potatoes with Chipotle Butter; Crimini Mushrooms Stuffed with Chard.
• DESSERTS: Coconut Flan; Mexican Chocolate Bread Pudding; Pineapple-Cajeta Empanadas; Bananas Tequila Foster; Strawberry Rompope Shake; Banana and Cajeta Layered Crepes.
• DRINKS: Cucumber Martini; Pineapple-Vanilla Agua Fresca; Mexican Hot Chocolate; Warm Winter Punch; Chia Lemonade; Citrus Spritzer.
With 100 make-at-home recipes and 80 sumptuous color photographs, “MEXICAN MADE EASY” brings all of the energy and fresh flavors of Marcela’s popular show into your home. As Valladolid implores in the Introduction, “Have fun! It is only food, after all, and it just needs to taste good to you and your family. So experiment, explore, and enjoy!”
Raised in Tijuana, Mexico, Valladolid attended the Los Angeles Culinary Institute and then the Ritz Escoffier School in Paris before working at Bon Appétit magazine. Her first cookbook, Fresh Mexico, was published in 2009. She lives in San Diego with her son. Her website is chefmarcela.com.
© 2009 The Star-News