Isle Surf and SUP is still riding the high tide of the economy.
A year after re-branding itself, the surf and paddleboard shop in National City is cashing in on a recent explosion of a new water sport: paddleboarding.
“Everyone likes to paddle so the paddling popularity is definitely growing,” said co-owner Marc Miller. “It appeals to such a wide demographic so business has definitely been good.”
Business has been succeeding for both the retail store and the online store for paddleboards, Miller said.
Isle Surf & SUP sells hundreds of paddleboards, surfboards and accessories but Miller considers his store to be more of a paddleboard shop, as paddleboards are the most sold item.
“It’s more of a paddleboard store to showcase all the newer paddleboards and what we feel is probably one of the nicest paddleboard selections in San Diego,” he said.
Paddleboards cost between $595 and $1,200. All paddleboard purchases come with a free paddle and free shipping if purchased online.
If a paddleboard is picked up at the store, then customers will receive $75 off any board.
While paddleboarding sales are booming for the business, Miller anticipates sales to continue to rise during the summer heat.
He also said sales usually increase in the weeks leading up to Christmas.
Miller said surfboard sales of late have been slow.
Miller said about 80 percent of the business’s sales comes from online while the remaining 20 percent comes from in-store sales.
Miller said there is room for more growth, and one way he said he plans on doing that is by Isle Surf & SUP participating in local events.
“(I’m) just trying to get the Isle brand, especially on the paddleboard side, out in front of the eyes of more San Diegans to drive more local business to the store,” he said. “Online we are of course pushing for nationwide marketing.”
Miller said his business did not suffer from the economic downturn because the business launched right when paddleboarding became popular.
He said there is a big market in San Diego for paddleboards because of the proximity to the ocean and the recent interest in paddleboarding by San Diegans.
The retail store is located at 340 West 26th St. in the same business park as the warehouse.
The warehouse is 13,000 square -feet and houses operations, online sales support, and shipping and receiving of direct sales.