[x]close

use comma(,) if mutliple email addresses i.e(friend@domain.com, friend2@domain.com)

Fratricide suspect accused of new attack Neal Putnam | Sat, Sep 28 2013 12:00 PM

A Chula Vista man already in jail for allegedly killing his brother pleaded not guilty Sept. 19 to new charges of assaulting another inmate with a homemade knife.

Alberto Gonzalez Figueroa, 35, was arraigned before Chula Vista Superior Court Judge Stephanie Sontag. The new charges include assault with a deadly weapon and possession of a weapon in jail, said Deputy District Attorney Ryan Karkenny.

The unidentified inmate was attacked July 10. Karkenny said the victim has since been released from jail.
Figueroa’s preliminary hearing was reset for Nov. 5. Figueroa has previously pleaded not guilty to murder in the April 2 death of his brother, Mario Gonzalez Figueroa, 23, with whom he lived in the 2000 block of Lakeridge Circle in the Eastlake area.

The fratricide was committed with a samurai sword and a barbecue fork, which were identified as the deadly weapons. Paramedics attempted life saving efforts, but the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

Chula Vista Police officers were called to the condominium at 7:18 a.m. where both brothers lived with their mother and grandfather. Alberto Figueroa was seen leaving the area on a bicycle with blood on his clothing.

About one hour later, National City Police arrested Figueroa at Sweetwater Plaza. He has been moved to the George Bailey Detention Facility without bail.

Rate This Article 0 vote(s)
Average Vote 0/5
Leave Comment
Name
Email

(will not be published)

Comment(s)

The Star-News | 296 3rd Ave., Chula Vista, CA 91910 | Phone: 619-427-3000 | Fax: 619-426-6346 | info@thestarnews.com| Site Feedback| Corporate