[x]close

use comma(,) if mutliple email addresses i.e(friend@domain.com, friend2@domain.com)

Council splits on power plant Allison K. Sampité | Sat, Nov 05 2011 12:00 PM

 

Leaders split on right way to proceed on power plant

By Allison K. SampitŽ

staff writer

The Chula Vista City Council was at an impasse Tuesday after a resolution to support a contract between the Port of San Diego and and the South Bay power plant operator failed to win enough support.

The proposal, brought forward by Councilwoman Patricia Aguilar, was to move forward with Dynegy's contract to demolish and remove the 51-year-old South Bay power plant from the city's bayfront. Last month, Dynegy agreed to remove the power plant in a bifurcated process by the end of 2014.

The first part focuses on removing the above ground structure by July 2013, while the second would focus on the subsurface demolition and remediation.

The money comes from $40 million collected from ratepayers and $8.5 million from black box settlements.

Mayor Cheryl Cox and Councilman Rudy Ramirez voted down the $65 million plan.

Cox said the city is "more than a little gun shy" due to media reports about Dynegy's possible bankruptcy and Cox said the contract lacks guarantees of Dynegy's ability and willingness to perform.

"I have a concern regarding remedies other than Dynegy's good faith bargaining," she said. "If you say it's going to Duke (Energy), I'm not happy about that."

 

Rate This Article 0 vote(s)
Average Vote 0/5
Leave Comment
Name
Email

(will not be published)

Comment(s)

The Star-News | 296 3rd Ave., Chula Vista, CA 91910 | Phone: 619-427-3000 | Fax: 619-426-6346 | info@thestarnews.com| Site Feedback| Corporate