In 1957 SDG&E began planning to develop the South Bay power plant on the Chula Vista bayfront, with construction to begin the following year.
The plant started operating at full capacity in 1981.
Between 1998 and 1999, the San Diego Unified Port acquired the plant from SDG&E with the goal of eventually demolishing it, and shortly after leased the plant to Duke Energy.
In 2006 Duke Energy transfered ownership to LS Power, which transferred operations to Dynegy.
In October 2010, the California Independent System Operator notified Dynegy that the plant could be decommissioned.
On Dec. 31, 2010, the plant is shut down. The following day, Dynegy South Bay Inc. began the decommissioning process, including disconnecting the electrical lines and removing fuels and liquids.
In June 2011, on-site asbestos abatement work began.
One year later Dynegy South Bay Inc. obtained permits from the California Coastal Commission and the city of Chula Vista to demolish the above-ground structures on site.
In August 2012, Dynegy hired general contractor Silverado Contractors to conduct the demolition, which started on-site preparations for an implosion.