Three young men who shot out windows of parked cars in Chula Vista have been ordered to pay $9,358.37 in damages, but the prosecutor said victims who haven’t submitted claims can still do so with the District Attorney’s office.
The trio is believed to have shot out more than 100 car windows with BB guns in August and September last year.
“They were bored,” said Deputy District Attorney Steve Schott.
Schott said he believes the total damages will rise to $25,000. He said some families had two vehicles damaged.
“Hopefully, more people will come forward,” said Schott. “I think there’s more out there.”
Chula Vista Superior Court Judge Garry Haehnle imposed the restitution order recently against Hector Cordova, Alan Ignacio Casanova, both of whom are now 20 and live in Chula Vista, and Arturo Martinez, 21, of San Diego.
Judge Theodore Weathers placed all three men on terms of three years probation on Nov. 14. Casanova received the most time, 180 days in jail, because he was already on probation at the time for auto theft.
He was released Dec. 20.
Cordova received credit for 80 days in jail and was ordered to perform 10 days of public service work. Martinez got credit for 20 days in jail and a 160-day jail term was suspended. Martinez was ordered to perform 20 days of public service work.
The trio pleaded guilty Oct. 17 to two counts of felony vandalism and felony assault of a man who was wounded in the shoulder from BBs on Sept. 27 on East Prospect. They could have been sentenced to five year prison terms, but with probation they can be ordered to pay restitution. Chula Vista Police arrested the suspects Oct. 6 and Oct. 9. Schott said any remaining victims can call the Chula Vista branch of the DA’s office at (619) 498-5650 to discuss how to submit a claim.